Friday, October 25, 2013

Plans, they are a-changin'

The last few weeks have been an emotional roller coaster.  Anton went to the SDA Monday, October 7th,  to submit our paperwork.  Things were going so well; moving along so quickly.  We anticipated court would be October 24th.  But when the SDA looked over our documents, they would not accept them.  There is a court decree terminating parental rights.  It terminates the rights of a father not named on the birth certificate.  They accepted this document 8 years ago when they registered the children for adoption but now they want us to get it fixed.  Anton spent the next 2 weeks going from birth certificate office to Inspector’s office to Judge’s office trying to work out a solution. There were technicalities.  Legal issues.  We consulted at least 2 lawyers.  The judges had conferences.  There was talk  of re-registering one of the children; of separating them; of having to wait another year.

And the move loomed in the distance, like a monster waiting to devour.  You see, we had known for quite some time that the orphanage our children were living in would close near the end of October.   In my foolishness, I had assured my kids they would not have to move.  They have already lived in 3 different orphanages.  I assured them we would be finished with our process by then and the only other place they ever had to move was home. 

The orphanage director tried his best to keep the kids.  He understood this move was not the best for them at this time.  The judge over-seeing the decree problem was understanding and tried to come up with  a time-sensitive solution.  Anton hurried to get everything filed in their current city of residence, praying, not just that we can have court there, but that the move will not necessitate a new referral and starting over at square one. 

And, in the meantime, the orphanage closed, and my kids have been transferred to another institution.  I want to write a separate blog about this.  For now, I just wanted to give an update on our own process.  As of now, it looks like we can have court the week of Thanksgiving.  I will go home next week and then Gabe and I will both return for court.  There is a 10 day wait after the decree is signed fixing the decree issue; I am hoping it will be signed today.  Then there is a 2 week wait for the approval from the SDA.   But I realize that at any moment, things could change and more delays could ensue.  I am totally trusting God in this and yet my heart aches for my children and the others who are facing the very difficult transition into a new orphanage. 

Praying for the day all orphanages will close, to be opened never again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment